9.13 – Washington, DC @ Dwell
DC musicians band together for migrant families in “Room For More” Festival
“Room For More” is a dispersed festival coming to Washington, DC in September to raise funds for migrant families. More than a dozen local musical acts, including Hostile Array, Ménage À Garage, Zen Warship and more, are banding together across five shows throughout the month to raise funds for Immigrant Families Together, a group that pays bail and provides services for families affected by U.S. border policies.
Washington, DC is a proudly diverse city and “Room For More” Festival is part of our musical community’s tradition of activism. It is also deeply personal for some festival performers, including Hostile Array drummer Fredy Menjivar. A 22-year-old who immigrated from El Salvador as an infant, Menjivar currently has temporary protected status (TPS), but that status could be terminated as soon as January 2020 due to administration policy changes.
“I have always tried to be optimistic, but I’m only human, and I do fear the uncertainty of what my future holds,” Menjivar said. “I pay taxes and try my best to contribute to society like any citizen would. While El Salvador may be my country of origin, I consider myself an American due to the fact that I grew up here just like everyone I know. This is the only county I know and have called home for most of my life.”
“Room For More” Festival is an opportunity to show solidarity with the immigrants who are our friends, neighbors, and bandmates. The full festival schedule includes:
- Day 1 at Dwell, 9/13/2019 at 8pm, ft. Slokey, Faded Home and Tavor
- Day 2 at sPACYcLOUd, 9/14/2019 at 8pm, ft. Lizard Hands, Mistochord, Small Craft, and Richard Seymour.
- Day 3 at Boundary Stone, 9/21/2019 at 9pm, ft. The Ambient Eye, dawnathan, Trash Boat and the Ambush, and MidMountain.
- Day 4 at The Dew Drop Inn, 9/26/2019 at 8pm, ft. A Measured Response, Ethan Andrew, and Petty Indulgences.
- Day 5 at Pie Shop, 9/28/2019 at 1pm, ft. Hostile Array, Ménage À Garage, MidMountain, and Zen Warship.
“Room For More” is a volunteer-run effort, organized by the DC DIY music scene and Plain Great Productions with net proceeds benefiting Immigrant Families Together. A limited number of full festival passes ($35), individual show ticket pre-sales, and other information available at www.roomformorefest.org
Contact: Andrea Peterson, Plain Great Productions.